HideAway Country Inn History

Romantic Boutique Hotel That Began as Beloved Farm

TODAY
  1. 2016

    What began as a modest Bucyrus bed and breakfast in 1990 has grown. The HideAway Country Inn earned full service hotel status in recent years so to celebrate the achievement a new website was created. The goal is to provide easy on-line reservations as well as information regarding hotel events and even those activities in the local community.

    Check out the video here
  2. 2014

    After several years of trying, the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator Magazine was awarded to the HideAway Country Inn. The Award of Excellence is only given to wine cellars with 130+ different varieties of wine, which guests are welcome to tour. In addition, HideAway Country Inn began education classes every day of the week (except for Sunday) by providing information on how to select a bottle of wine, food pairing and specialty wine dinners.

    Check out the video here
  3. The bomb shelter of the Smith Homestead was turned into a climate controlled wine cellar. Here you’ll find original work benches and wine racks from Wine Cellar Innovators of Cincinnati. The Lock Boxes were also designed for finer wine storage. The wine cellar was created after the Inn went on the ballot for a liquor license. Since Bucyrus Township was still in prohibition status with no sales of any wine or other “spirits” available for sale approval was need. In a one-time, precedent-setting election, the people voted in favor of our liquor license.

    Check out the video here
  4. 2007

    The kitchen was remodeled yet again in August and was designed to host cooking schools, large parties and events. It features a baking area, salad and dessert station, as well as an efficient line and additional dishwasher was added. Also, during this time, the kitchen garden started full swing and included pear trees growing in bottles.

    Check out the video here
  5. September 2000

    In September the other building on the property, the ‘barn’, started construction. Wanting more than the average Ohio B&B, Steve and Debbie started to convert a 1938 barn into five suites, a meeting room to hold up to 80 and a 40X60 foot brick patio.  Debbie designed the rooms in the middle of the night on a piece of scrap paper.  The metal trusses that separate the rooms determined the size of the rooms.  The lofts were designed to give more comfort and a homier atmosphere.  She interviewed over 50 ‘road warriors’, people who travel over 100,000 air miles a year.  She figured they would be “experts” in hotel design.  They helped her design the meeting room as well.

    Check out the video here
  6. October 2000

    The Out of Africa suite evolved from the original design of an Italian suite and features a teak 4-poster bed that was imported from the West Indies.  After an architectural auction of the Farmers & Citizens Bank, the mantel and tub surround was rescued from Judge Beer’s office and given a second life.  The pieces are made from Sycamore wood, which is a very rare find today.  The fireplace hearth, as well as the bathroom counter-top, came from the bank’s teller area.  Along with two workers, Steve and Debbie ‘withdrew’ all the chocolate marble from the bank to create the master piece.

    Check out the video here
  7. November 2000

    The Hunters Loft idea came from Steve.  The bed and furniture came from Michigan, made from Aspen wood and the Jacuzzi for two was designed to be the deepest tub at the Inn while the mantel supports came from the old barn they dismantled.  The dining table, which is made of broken china and mirrors, came from the same designer who created the table seen on the television series, Dharma & Greg.

    Check out the video here
  8. 1994

    In Inventor’s Escape room, named for inventor and founder Mr. S.H. Smith, the closet was converted to a bathroom with plumbing running up the laundry chute. Also that same year, the on-site apartment was converted into the Eagles Nest Suite by knocking down walls upstairs from 2 bedrooms and adding a full bath with two-person Jacuzzi, three-sided fireplace and a king sized sleigh bed.  Plus, the stunning entertainment center found on main floor was hand crafted by a local carpenter based on Debbie’s crude visual concept that used tack boards and string to illustrate her design idea.

    Check out the video here
  9. 1991

    By February, the HideAway Bed and Breakfast was up and running.  However, the remodeling had just begun.  Upstairs, the only original bathrooms are found in the Smith Room and the Garden Room.  In fact, these two rooms are still much as you would have found them in 1938.  In the first years of the bed and breakfast, the guests shared these two bathrooms.

    Check out the video here
  10. 1973

    Fred and Jane Fischer purchased the house, which now is officially known as the HideAway Country Inn.  The farmhouse visitors can see on the hill once housed Bucyrus Township School until it was sold to a local farm family that still homesteads the land today.

    Check out the video here
  11. 1950

    Dr. Dan Arnold, second owner of the HideAway, used the library space for patients, although he was known for making frequent house calls. In addition to being a doctor, he enjoyed the farm and retained the name of HideAway Farms, where he bred famous cattle that were well-known throughout the United States and Europe.

    Check out the video here
  12. 1938

    Inventor / Industrialist, Mr. S.H. Smith establishes HideAway Farms. Avator fan, Mr. Smith constructs a runway behind the main house as he patents his inventions such as the variable pitch airplane propeller and hollow steel blades, which helped Mr. Wiley Post win the Cleveland Air Races and hold air speed records for many years.

    Check out the video here