Festive Fun Flag Cake
Food, fireworks, troop appreciation, family, friends, and fun: what better time of the year than the 4th of July? Like most get togethers and holidays, food always has a way of entering the picture. Whether you’re attending a cookout, house party, or visiting relatives, it’s always a nice gesture to bring a dish. Why not wow everyone with a colorful festive dish that screams the 4th of July? Below we have a patriotic cake that uses limited ingredients and can be fun to do together as a family or simply whip up in your kitchen stress and hassle free.
• 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) French vanilla cake mix
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 4 eggs
• 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
• 1-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
• 1 cup cold water, divided
• Ice cubes
• 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
• 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
• 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 tablespoon 2% milk
• 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow crème
• Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
• Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
• Transfer cake to a covered cake board. Using a small knife, cut out a 5-in. x 4-in. rectangle (1/2 in. deep) in the top left corner of cake, leaving a 1/2-in. border along edges of cake. For red stripes, cut out 1/2-in. wide rows (1/2 in. deep), leaving a 1/2-in. border. Using a fork, carefully remove cut-out cake pieces.
• In a small bowl, dissolve berry blue gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough ice cubes to measure 1-1/4 cups. Stir into gelatin until slightly thickened. Scoop out and discard any remaining ice cubes. Repeat, making strawberry gelatin.
• In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 cup strawberry gelatin. In another bowl, combine blueberries and 1 cup blue gelatin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or just until soft-set. (Save remaining gelatin for another use.)
• Stir gelatin mixtures. Slowly pour blueberry mixture into rectangle; spoon strawberry mixture into stripes.
• In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add marshmallow crème; beat well until light and fluffy. Spread 1 cup over sides and top edge of cake. Refrigerate remaining frosting for 20 minutes.
• Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill the bag with remaining frosting. Pipe frosting in between rows of strawberry gelatin and around edges of cake. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until gelatin is set. Yield: 15 servings.
For more delicious recipes and food tips check out The Chef’s Dish at www.hideawayinn.com.